The Driver Certificate of Professional Competence qualification (Driver CPC) is a professional qualification for bus, coach and lorry drivers. It was introduced across the EU with the aim of improving road safety and maintaining the high standards of professional driving. Whilst the UK has now left the EU, the Government has made it clear that Driver CPC is here to stay.
For the majority of professional drivers – whether bus, coach, or lorry – Driver CPC (DCPC) is compulsory, with 35 hours of CPC periodic training required to be taken every 5 years. Should these hours not be maintained, drivers could be liable for a fine of up to £1,000.
Do I need DCPC?
The original European Union Directive states that professional drivers of vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, or Passenger Carrying Vehicles (PCV) with 9 or more seats, require the Driver CPC qualification. However, there are some exceptions.
You do not need the DCPC qualification if you drive:
- A vehicle with a maximum authorised speed of no more than 45kmh
- A vehicle with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of less than 3,500kg
- A vehicle that is used by (or under the control of) the armed forces, civil defence, and fire service – or other forces responsible for maintaining public order
- A vehicle that is undergoing road tests for development or repair – or a newly built vehicle that has not yet been put into service
- A vehicle that is being used in states of emergency or rescue missions
- A vehicle that is being used for driving lessons or DCPC qualifications
- A vehicle that is used to transport non-commercial goods, or used for personal use
- A vehicle that is used to transport equipment used for work, should driving the vehicle not be the driver’s principal activity
- A vehicle being used to perform a technical road test
Therefore, most people driving an HGV for work are required to complete the Driver CPC qualification – and that’s where we can help.
By choosing the right DCPC training provider you can not only meet your legal obligations, but also engage with training that offers a genuinely worthwhile investment. Driver Hire delivers first-class training to the transport and logistics industry. Whether you’re a busy Transport Manager, HGV Driver, or responsible for the work-related road risk for your business, Driver Hire can provide the training you need.